The 20-year-old Croatian defender has caught the eyes of the world with his superb performances in the Bundesliga and the World Cup with Croatia.
Gvardiol has received praise for his dogged marking, ball-playing and ball-carrying abilities. Since his emergence at Dinamo Zagreb, he has been touted as one of the best defensive talents around.
Chelsea and Manchester City tried to sign the talented centre-back last summer. City made an €80 million offer for Gvardiol, but Leipzig did not budge.
The Blues opened negotiations, but Leipzig remained adamant they did not want to sell. However, Chelsea insisted they would buy the player even if it meant waiting until 2023.
Chelsea have been negotiating with Leipzig for months, but Barcelona and Real Madrid are now circling.
Barcelona do not have any left-footed centre-backs in their ranks at the moment. He fits the mould of a Barca defender, especially in bravery and progressing the ball.
Real Madrid have Eder Militao, Antonio Rudiger, David Alaba and Nacho in their squad, but that has never stopped them from stockpiling talents.
Gvardiol’s agent, Marjan Sisic, recently said Gvardiol is not in a hurry to decide his future. He is focused on his development, and that will determine any move he makes.
Chelsea co-owner Todd Boehly has been pushing for Gvardiol as he wants to continue the youth revolution at the club.
They are currently ahead of other parties in the race for the defender, but they will have to move fast with the big guns looming.
- Pep Guardiola denies City’s reliance on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?