Former Manchester United defender Wes Brown believes the Red Devils have a fight on their hands if they are going to snap up ‘decent’ Cody Gakpo after his World Cup displays.
The Netherlands sensation was strongly linked with a move to Old Trafford last summer. However, the club failed to follow up on their internal discussions and opted to move for another Eredivisie star in Ajax’s Antony.
However, with Gakpo pulling his weight for the Dutch at the World Cup having notched up three goals already to ensure his side a place in the knockout stage, Brown believes the youngster has added another £20 million to his price tag.
“He’s decent”, Brown said (via Mirror). “I’ve watched him live when I’ve been to Holland. He’s young, he’s confident, he’s powerful, a big lad.
“I just feel like he’d fit in, but already you can probably put another £20m on top because everyone will be after him.
“Like I said, people don’t let the best strikers go in January unless you want to overpay, but I’m guessing in the summer, he’ll be on everyone’s target list.”
Antony cost United around £86m last summer. While Gakpo would have cost the club a significantly lower price, the Brazilian immediately proved good value for money, returning three goals in six Premier League appearances.
However, Erik ten Hag and United could yet rue their decision to pass on Gakpo, with the PSV Eindhoven star now attracting interest from several other clubs, including league rivals Chelsea and Arsenal.
Despite the spotlight on his performances, Gakpo has insisted that he is not paying attention to speculation over his future as he is focused on representing his country at the World Cup.
Gakpo scored nine goals and provided 12 assists in 14 Eredivisie appearances for PSV before leaving to represent his country at the showpiece event.
He was once again on the scoresheet when the Dutch swatted aside host nation Qatar to progress as group winners to the last 16, where they will face the United States.
- Who is Liverpool’s most important player – Van Dijk or Salah?
- Postecoglou confirms huge injury blow for Tottenham ahead of Crystal Palace clash
- FA Cup quarter-final TV picks confirmed, ITV will show headline fixture between Man Utd and Liverpool
- Preview: Man City vs Man United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Crystal Palace shareholder John Textor slams Premier League financial rules
- Conor Gallagher determined to stay at Chelsea despite contract stand-off and Tottenham interest
- Eric Dier makes permanent switch to Bayern Munich from Tottenham
- Premier League manager of the month nominees for February revealed
- Paul Pogba receives four-year ban for doping
- Man United fans in uproar as Old Trafford relocation plans spark outrage