The Bavarians have a verbal agreement in place with Laimer, whose current deal at Red Bull Arena expires at the end of the season.
Bayern are set to offer a five-year deal to the Austrian midfielder, who has racked up 11 goals and 18 assists in 167 appearances for Die Roten Bullen.
The 25-year-old could have moved to Allianz Arena last summer, but the Bavarians were reluctant to match Leipzig’s valuation, given that he was entering the final year of his contract.
The Bayern boss has been pushing to get the deal over the line, as he believes Laimer will be a great addition to the Bavarians because of his huge potential and versatility.
The former RB Salzburg star has missed a large chunk of games this season through injuries.
Nagelsmann raided his former club Leipzig for Marcel Sabitzer in the summer of 2021, and he is now looking to prise away another talented midfielder in Laimer.
Laimer is among the best box-to-box midfielders in Europe, equally adept at attacking and defending.
He is also an aggressive presser, an attribute generally associated with the players of Red Bull clubs.
The Austrian will have to battle with Leon Goretzka – who shares a similar profile – for a regular place if he moves to Allianz Arena.
- PSG 1-1 Newcastle: Late Mbappe penalty puts Magpies last-16 hopes in jeopardy
- Tottenham star Rodrigo Bentancur out for two months after latest injury setback
- Everton’s ten-point deduction puts Sean Dyche contract talks on hold
- The worst Premier League starts ever
- Gavi out for the rest of the season
- Celtic & Rangers top list of most expensive Champions League away days
- Jeremie Frimpong: Should Bayern or Man Utd take advantage of his €40m release clause?
- Tottenham join race for Man United target Jean-Clair Todibo
- Ljungberg: Arsenal title challenge in trouble with key stats not in their favour
- Referee admitted penalty decision against Wolves was wrong, rages Gary O’Neil after Fulham defeat