A source at the Cameroon Football Federation reportedly told the AFP news agency that he is not in the squad against Serbia due to unspecified disciplinary reasons. Devis Epassy will replace the 26-year-old.
Onana started in goal for Cameroon’s opening game against Switzerland, which they lost 1-0. The lone goal of the game came from Cameroon-born Swiss international Breel Embolo.
If Cameroon lose today, they are out of the competition. The same goes for Serbia, who also lost their first game of the tournament.
Onana joined Inter Milan on a free transfer this summer after leaving Ajax. He signed a five-year deal with the Rossoneri.
He started his career at the Samuel Eto’o Foundation before joining Barcelona in 2010. He signed for Ajax in 2015, playing for Jong Ajax, before getting his call-up to the senior team debut in 2016.
Onana established himself as one of the best young goalkeepers in Europe over his five years at the Dutch club.
In 2021, he received a ban from football for 12 months by UEFA after testing positive for a banned substance. He claimed he used his wife’s medicine by mistake, and Ajax said they would appeal the decision.
The Court of Arbitration for Sport reduced the ban to nine months because it was an honest mistake. Onana returned to Ajax before the end of the 2021/22 season but had agreed a deal to join Simone Inzaghi’s side.
Onana played in the Champions League games, while veteran and club captain Samir Handanovic started the league games. However, the Slovenian keeper’s poor form led to Onana taking over.
The Cameroonian youth international debuted for the senior national team in 2016. He has 35 caps for the Indomitable Lions.
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten run at Villa Park
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?