Keylor Navas starred in Sunday’s World Cup match as Costa Rica secured a brilliant 1-0 win over Japan.
Hajime Moriyasu’s side confidently entered the Group E contest after their spectacular 2-1 victory against Germany in their opening match.
However, they failed to create meaningful chances today at the Ahmed bin Ali Stadium and were frustrated by their opponents’ tight defensive unit.
Los Ticos then stunned their Asian rivals by netting the winner late in the game with their first shot on target through Keysher Fuller.
With this victory, Costa Rica have managed to draw level on points with Spain and Japan, and their World Cup campaign is back alive.
Fuller deserves all the accolades for popping up with a lovely goal, but Navas was also excellent between the sticks at the Ahmed bin Ali Stadium.
The 35-year-old endured a nightmare against Spain, who completely outplayed Luis Suarez’s side in their previous group game.
He conceded an incredible seven goals as La Roja produced one of their most dominant displays.
However, Navas made a good comeback today as he played an important role in helping his side keep a clean sheet.
The experienced goalkeeper received a 7.5 Sofascore rating, which was their highest of the match.
The Paris Saint-Germain star made three saves, with two saved from inside the box.
He also had 47 touches and completed 17 of his 36 passes.
Costa Rica will return to action on Thursday when they take on Germany in a crucial World Cup game.
- ‘The boys gave everything’ – Graham Potter assesses Chelsea’s 2-0 defeat to Aston Villa
- Jurgen Klopp delivers damning assessment on Liverpool’s 4-1 defeat to Man City
- Preview: Everton vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Barcelona will play at the Estadi Lluis Companys next season with Camp Nou renovation on the cards
- Harry Kane targeting a century of goals for England