The Red Devils dominated possession but failed to create many clear-cut chances.
Walid Regragui’s side grew into the game and broke the deadlock with 17 minutes remaining. Abdelhamid Sabiri left the bench to score through a stunning free-kick.
Zakaria Aboukhlal fired another goal in injury time to register a magnificent 2-0 win for the Atlas Lions. The victory moved Morocco to the top of Group F.
After playing out a goalless draw against Croatia in their opening match, Morocco have put themselves in a brilliant position to qualify for the knockout stage.
They face Canada in their final group match on Thursday.
Hakim Ziyech shines
Chelsea star Ziyech delivered a standout performance for his country today. He received an excellent 8.06 WhoScored rating which is the highest given to a player in today’s game.
The 29-year-old won nine ground duels, won three tackles and completed three dribbles. He also contributed an assist and made two key passes in the match.
Ziyech created several chances and had a goal harshly ruled out by VAR.
He was easily the best player on the pitch and deserved all the accolades for Morocco’s brilliant victory.
- Analysis: Liverpool did all they could to win the League Cup – and ultimately triumphed
- Everton ten-point deduction reduced to six
- Jurgen Klopp could win the quadruple this season and still not be Liverpool’s best-ever manager
- Chelsea & Man City target set to join Real Madrid in 2024 or 2025
- Cristiano Ronaldo makes obscene gesture at rival supporters chanting ‘Messi’
- Van Dijk leads Liverpool kids to League Cup glory
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer