It’s Monday again which means it’s time for ‘Morning Mix’ – our weekly football column with a bit of music thrown in for good measure.
We look at two talking points from the past week and point you in the direction of some of the best football stories elsewhere on the internet.
We also offer a top tune recommendation to get you in the mood for the week ahead and what to watch out for over the coming days. Let’s get the ball rolling!
Garnacho is worth persevering with
Plenty of people have been quick to jump on the ‘Alejandro Garnacho has an attitude problem’ bandwagon over the past few weeks.
Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag added his name to the list by warning the teenager ‘to do the right things in his lifestyle’.
Ten Hag undoubtedly has Garnacho’s best interests at heart with his comments, and the youngster would do well to listen to the Dutchman.
However, it’s worth noting that he is an 18-year-old trying to make a name for himself in a foreign country. He is bound to make mistakes.
As demonstrated by his match-winning contribution against Fulham on Sunday, Garnacho is well worth persevering with – he has the potential to be a superstar.
Everton must end Lampard gamble
Plenty of eyebrows were raised when Everton appointed former Chelsea and England midfielder Frank Lampard as the club’s manager.
After failing to deliver success during his time in charge of Derby County and Chelsea, Lampard was handed another opportunity at Goodison Park.
The dismal 3-0 defeat at Bournemouth on Saturday left Everton just one point above the relegation zone heading into the World Cup break.
While there is an argument to be made that Lampard has not been helped by the club’s board, his lack of tactical acumen remains a major issue.
Appointing Lampard was a gamble by Everton – if they want to avoid dropping into the Championship, they need to replace him before the Premier League resumes.
The week that was
Are you looking for the best football stories from the past week? Check these out:
- Giovanni van Bronckhorst dealing with player tensions – is he losing grip on Rangers job?
- Gareth Southgate has picked an England squad to recapture happy-ship energy.
- How can FIFA & FAs channel World Cup anger into real change for migrant workers in Qatar?
Today’s top tune
We’ve previously mentioned Red Rum Club as a band worth following. Their latest single ‘The River’ highlights why you should listen to us.
What to watch this week
Plenty of people in the media have criticised the decision to stage the World Cup in Qatar.
It’ll be interesting to see how many refuse to line their pockets and stay at home (the Daily Mail’s Oliver Holt immediately springs to mind).
A final Morning Mix thought
Piers Morgan and Cristiano Ronaldo = narcissism at its worst. The United forward claims he ‘felt betrayed’ by the club. Shut up, you big baby.
- Analysis: Liverpool did all they could to win the League Cup – and ultimately triumphed
- Everton ten-point deduction reduced to six
- Jurgen Klopp could win the quadruple this season and still not be Liverpool’s best-ever manager
- Chelsea & Man City target set to join Real Madrid in 2024 or 2025
- Cristiano Ronaldo makes obscene gesture at rival supporters chanting ‘Messi’
- Van Dijk leads Liverpool kids to League Cup glory
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer