Sheffield United’s 1-0 victory at Cardiff City the previous day moved them ahead of the Clarets, but their stay at the top was short-lived.
Vincent Kompany’s side completely dominated Rovers, and they thoroughly deserved their impressive 3-0 victory at Turf Moor – Ashley Barnes (2) and Anass Zaroury got the goals.
The visitors were guilty of overplaying at the back, while a strange team selection by manager Jon Dahl Tomasson did not help their cause.
The result moved Burnley three points clear of the Blades, with Rovers another two points adrift in third place.
Watford are now fourth in the table courtesy of a goalless draw at Bristol City, while Norwich City dropped to fifth after losing 2-1 at home to Middlesbrough.
Jos Sargent gave the Canaries an early lead, but second-half goals by Riley McGree and Matt Crooks handed the visitors an unexpected victory.
Millwall moved into the final play-off place with an impressive 4-2 victory at Preston North End – Zian Flemming (3) and Charlie Cresswell were on target for the London club.
While they will be pleased to head into the World Cup break inside the top six, the battle to grab a play-off place is guaranteed to be fiercely fought when the season resumes.
Just six points separate fourth-placed Watford from Sunderland in 15th position, perfectly highlighting the competitive nature of the Championship.
Huddersfield Town, Blackpool and Wigan Athletic currently fill the bottom three spots, but several other clubs are hovering above the relegation zone.
They include West Bromwich Albion, who were widely tipped to be in the mix for promotion this season.
Hull City, Cardiff, Bristol City, Stoke City and Rotherham United are also looking nervously over their shoulders.
- Jurgen Klopp could win the quadruple this season and still not be Liverpool’s best-ever manager
- Chelsea & Man City target set to join Real Madrid in 2024 or 2025
- Cristiano Ronaldo makes obscene gesture at rival supporters chanting ‘Messi’
- Van Dijk leads Liverpool kids to League Cup glory
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer
- League Cup preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Rasmus Hojlund to miss the Manchester derby in boost to City’s title chances