Mane’s early departure from the game would have raised concern amongst the Senegalese faithful watching on, and the reigning Africa Cup of Nations champions have now been dealt a significant blow.
Per French outlet L’Equipe, Mane picked up a tendon injury and will be out of action for the next couple of weeks.
The 30-year-old becomes the latest big name to be ruled out of football’s biggest tournament, joining the likes of N’Golo Kante, Timo Werner and Paul Pogba.
In Mane’s absence, Villareal’s Nicolas Jackson could be handed an opportunity to shine on the global stage by Aliou Cisse, who will name his 26-man squad on Friday.
After a fine start to his first-team career at Estadio de la Ceramica, which has seen him register three goals and two assists, Jackson is expected to be on the plane to Qatar.
Bayern will be hoping to welcome Mane back to the fold as soon as possible as they continue their hunt for an 11th straight league title after recently opening up a four-point lead at the top of the table.
Julian Nagelsmann’s men have also been handed a tough Champions League draw against Paris Saint-Germain and will be keen to have the full complement of their squad around ahead of the return of Europe’s premier club competition in February.
In the meantime, the Bavarians will search for a 10th consecutive victory across all competitions in Saturday’s meeting against Schalke 04, which is their final outing before the World Cup takes centre stage on November 20.
- Who is Liverpool’s most important player – Van Dijk or Salah?
- Postecoglou confirms huge injury blow for Tottenham ahead of Crystal Palace clash
- FA Cup quarter-final TV picks confirmed, ITV will show headline fixture between Man Utd and Liverpool
- Preview: Man City vs Man United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Crystal Palace shareholder John Textor slams Premier League financial rules
- Conor Gallagher determined to stay at Chelsea despite contract stand-off and Tottenham interest
- Eric Dier makes permanent switch to Bayern Munich from Tottenham
- Premier League manager of the month nominees for February revealed
- Paul Pogba receives four-year ban for doping
- Man United fans in uproar as Old Trafford relocation plans spark outrage