Deschamps will reveal his 26-man squad for the tournament in a television appearance on tonight’s evening news in France.
Maignan has been out with a calf injury for weeks now. However, he is getting closer to full fitness and assured of his place in the squad.
There was a fear that Maignan would not be fit for the showpiece in Qatar, but he has worked hard to seal an early return.
The 27-year-old first picked up the injury during the September international break.
Due to the injury, Milan were without one of their better performers from their Scudetto-winning campaign last season.
The Rossoneri have had to use Romanian goalkeeper Ciprian Tatarusanu, and while he has been serviceable, he is no Maignan.
Maignan has reportedly spoken with the France staff and is confident that he will hear his name tonight.
The 2020/21 Ligue 1 title-winner with LOSC Lille will provide competition for Tottenham Hotspur’s Hugo Lloris, the first-choice keeper.
West Ham United’s Alphonse Areola would have been the second choice, while Ligue 1 veteran Steve Mandanda was also in contention.
Apart from Maignan, the French medical staff are also worried about Karim Benzema’s fitness heading into the tournament.
Reports from Spain and France concede that the Ballon d’Or winner will not play again for Real Madrid before the tournament.
It is particularly worrying that the Madrid captain will lack match fitness and sharpness. However, he will take a spot on the plane to Qatar.
The main call for Deschamps is in midfield, with the trusted duo of Paul Pogba and N’Golo Kante ruled out.
The 54-year-old must choose two of Mateo Guendouzi, Boubacar Kamar, Youssouf Fofana, Jordan Veretout, and Eduardo Camavinga. Aurelien Tchouameni and Adrien Rabiot are sure of their places.
Deschamps has another late call with Marseille wing-back Jonathan Clauss ruled out. The France manager could return to using Benjamin Pavard and Jules Kounde as wing-backs.
- Who is Liverpool’s most important player – Van Dijk or Salah?
- Postecoglou confirms huge injury blow for Tottenham ahead of Crystal Palace clash
- FA Cup quarter-final TV picks confirmed, ITV will show headline fixture between Man Utd and Liverpool
- Preview: Man City vs Man United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Crystal Palace shareholder John Textor slams Premier League financial rules
- Conor Gallagher determined to stay at Chelsea despite contract stand-off and Tottenham interest
- Eric Dier makes permanent switch to Bayern Munich from Tottenham
- Premier League manager of the month nominees for February revealed
- Paul Pogba receives four-year ban for doping
- Man United fans in uproar as Old Trafford relocation plans spark outrage