Manchester United made a disastrous start to the 2022-23 season, losing their opening matches against Brighton & Hove Albion and Brentford.
However, things have been very positive for the Red Devils since then as they have picked up seven wins from their next 11 matches to be fifth in the Premier League standings.
But following their huge summer spending spree, funds will likely be limited at Old Trafford in January. And so they will be looking to offload their outcasts to recoup some fee.
Following are the three United players who will likely go out on loan this winter.
1- Facundo Pellistri
Facundo Pellistri is reportedly determined to leave United in January. He has been enduring a difficult season at Old Trafford this season, with the 20-year-old yet to earn any minutes under Erik ten Hag so far.
Despite injuries to Jadon Sancho, Antony and Anthony Martial, the Uruguayan has failed to break into the first-team. And now he is seeking a permanent exit from the Manchester club in the winter transfer window.
United, who splashed out €8.5 million to sign him from Penarol, will likely not stand in his way as they aim to recoup as much of the fee as possible. However, failure to land any suitable transfer fee could see the player leave on loan.
Despite his club struggles, Pellistri has been impressive for the national side and is expected to be named in Uruguay’s squad for the 2022 World Cup. The young winger has earned seven caps for his country with three assists to his name.
2- Zidane Iqbal
Zidane Iqbal is a hugely talented youngster who could be a big star at United. He is only 19 years old but has already earned his senior debut at Old Trafford as a substitute in a Champions League match in December 2021.
Iqbal mainly plays as a central midfielder but can also be deployed as a defensive and attacking midfielder. However, with too much competition for places, his first-team prospects look very slim at the moment. Moving away on loan in January seems to be the best course for his development.
Michael Carrick, who is now manager of Middlesbrough, is reportedly keen to sign him in the next window. If Iqbal proves his ability in the Championship, then more opportunities can open up for him at Old Trafford.
3- Shola Shoretire
Shola Shoretire is another highly talented academy graduate who looks to have a bright future ahead of him.
Following his impressive performances for the club’s Under-18 and Under-21 sides, the 18-year-old was handed his senior debut in February 2021 in a Premier League match against Newcastle United.
However, the English forward is still very young and has plenty to learn and improve his game. At this stage of his career, getting more game time is very important for Shoretire and so a loan move seems to be the best option for his development.
- Simone Inzaghi wanted by Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea – but who’s the best fit?
- Bowen hat-trick hands West Ham first win of 2024, eases pressure on Moyes
- Chelsea eye Amorim to replace Pochettino this summer
- Analysis: Liverpool did all they could to win the League Cup – and ultimately triumphed
- Everton ten-point deduction reduced to six
- Jurgen Klopp could win the quadruple this season and still not be Liverpool’s best-ever manager
- Chelsea & Man City target set to join Real Madrid in 2024 or 2025
- Cristiano Ronaldo makes obscene gesture at rival supporters chanting ‘Messi’
- Van Dijk leads Liverpool kids to League Cup glory
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad