The 55-year-old joined Southampton in December 2018, with the club in the relegation zone at the time of his appointment.
However, he steered them away from danger and guided them to a 16th-placed finish in the Premier League.
The former RB Leipzig boss led the Saints to an impressive 11th-place finish in his first full season in charge and then followed up with consecutive 15th-place finishes.
However, the Saints have struggled to get going this season, picking up just 12 points from their 14 games.
Hasenhuttl had been walking on eggshells, having won just one of their previous eight league games leading up to their clash with Newcastle United.
However, their thumping 4-1 defeat at home to the Magpies last weekend means the Austrian tactician has left the club languishing in the drop zone – the same as they were when he joined.
The club have now released an official statement confirming Hasenhuttl’s sacking, with first-team coach Ruben Selles set to take over on an interim basis while the club scours the market for a permanent replacement.
“Hasenhuttl, who was appointed in December 2018, departs having made a significant contribution to the club, overseeing some memorable results and also playing a key role in the development of our club infrastructure, identity, and playing squad,” the statement read.
“However, we now believe it is an appropriate time to make a change. Everyone involved with the club would like to express their sincere thanks to Ralph for all of his efforts, as well as the unwavering commitment he has shown throughout his time as manager.
“First team lead coach Ruben Selles will take charge of the side on an interim basis for our game on Wednesday night. The club will be announcing a permanent replacement in due course.”
- Who is Liverpool’s most important player – Van Dijk or Salah?
- Postecoglou confirms huge injury blow for Tottenham ahead of Crystal Palace clash
- FA Cup quarter-final TV picks confirmed, ITV will show headline fixture between Man Utd and Liverpool
- Preview: Man City vs Man United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Crystal Palace shareholder John Textor slams Premier League financial rules
- Conor Gallagher determined to stay at Chelsea despite contract stand-off and Tottenham interest
- Eric Dier makes permanent switch to Bayern Munich from Tottenham
- Premier League manager of the month nominees for February revealed
- Paul Pogba receives four-year ban for doping
- Man United fans in uproar as Old Trafford relocation plans spark outrage