Following their 5-0 win against Nottingham Forest this weekend, Arsenal have conceded just 14 goals and kept eight clean sheets in 17 games in all competitions.
A big part of that defensive solidity is Saliba, who has established himself as one of their better defenders. He has also contributed two goals this season.
The club wants to extend his contract, which expires in 2023 with the option of a further year.
After signing for Arsenal in 2019 from Saint-Etienne for £27million, he spent three straight seasons on loan with Saint-Etienne, OGC Nice and Marseille.
Mikel Arteta brought the French international back into the fold this summer after making him wait three years to make his debut for the club.
Negotiations are not advanced. However, Saliba’s representatives and Arsenal have been in talks over the renewal for a while now.
Even before the 21-year-old returned to Arsenal this season, they have been trying to renew his contract.
The Gunners will be desperate to keep Saliba despite interest from clubs around Europe. He is key to the London club’s success defensively.
They have already tied his defensive partner Gabriel Magalhaes to a new contract until 2027.
Technical director Edu will now focus on renewals for Gabriel Martinelli, Bukayo Saka and Saliba.
They are the core of a young Arsenal side winning plaudits around Europe for their performances this season.
- This Week In Football: Continental campaigns kick off in Europe and Asia
- Preview: Liverpool vs West Ham United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Mikel Arteta admits Gabriel Martinelli remains a doubt for Tottenham clash
- Pochettino reiterates desire to win, praises the team for “performing well” despite missing key players
- Preview: Chelsea vs Aston Villa – prediction, team news, line-ups