Spanish goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga picked up a knock in Chelsea’s disappointing 4-1 defeat at Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday.
The Seagulls were unstoppable at the Amex Stadium as they netted two goals within the first 15 minutes.
Leandro Trossard broke the deadlock before Ruben Loftus-Cheek deflected a corner into his own to double the advantage.
The Blues’ woes compounded as Trevoh Chalobah also scored an own goal before the interval.
Kepa didn’t offer much resistance to the Seagull’s first-half barrage and was replaced by Edouard Mendy at half-time due to injury.
Graham Potter’s side made a good comeback early in the second half as they pulled a goal back through Kai Havertz.
However, the hosts ultimately managed to win by an emphatic 4-1 scoreline, with Pascal Groß scoring their final goal in injury time.
Kepa wasn’t at the top of his game today, but he has been impressive this season.
The 28-year-old was the club’s second-choice goalkeeper since Mendy’s arrival in 2020.
However, he regained his position in the team under Potter after several outstanding performances.
The Spaniard has started six matches in the Premier League, with three clean sheets to his name (stats from Transfermarkt).
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer
- League Cup preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Rasmus Hojlund to miss the Manchester derby in boost to City’s title chances
- Europa Conference League round of 16 draw: Ajax to face Aston Villa, Lille clash with Sturm Graz
- Europa League round of 16 draw: Liverpool land favourable tie, Brighton face Roma
- Preview: Arsenal vs Newcastle – stats, team news, line-ups
- Armando Broja’s Chelsea future in doubt as Fulham loan goes pear-shaped