Arsenal are pursuing a deal for Serbian midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, reports Italian outlet Calciomercatoweb.
Milinkovic-Savic has been one of the standouts for Lazio since arriving from Genk in 2015. He has made over 300 appearances for the Serie A club, scoring on 62 occasions – including a late opener in their Coppa Italia final victory over Atalanta in 2019.
On top of this, he is a regular on the international stage. He featured in all of Serbia’s fixtures at the 2018 World Cup, and is expected to be one of their main men in the upcoming tournament in Qatar.
His performances for the Biancocelesti have understandably attracted plenty of attention from across Europe. Fellow Serie A side Juventus have been linked, along with Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain.
Now, Arsenal have become the latest side to take an interest in the midfielder. According to Calciomercatoweb, the Gunners are considering submitting a player-plus-cash offer, with Albert Sambi Lokonga potentially heading in the opposite direction.
Mikel Arteta’s side have made an excellent start to the season. From 15 games in all competitions, they have won 13 and lost just one, taking them to the top of the Premier League table.
In central midfield, Granit Xhaka and Thomas Partey have formed a solid partnership. However, they are lacking depth in this area, and could do with an upgrade if they wish to maintain their form.
Lokonga’s career at the Emirates Stadium is yet to properly take off. Since arriving from Anderlecht in 2021, the 23-year-old has started just 14 league games, often finding himself stuck behind Xhaka, Partey, and Mohamed Elneny in the pecking order.
Arsenal will look to continue their form when they travel to PSV Eindhoven in the Europa League on Thursday. Following that, they return to league action over the weekend, welcoming Nottingham Forest to north London.
- Crystal Palace shareholder John Textor slams Premier League financial rules
- Conor Gallagher determined to stay at Chelsea despite contract stand-off and Tottenham interest
- Eric Dier makes permanent switch to Bayern Munich from Tottenham
- Premier League manager of the month nominees for February revealed
- Paul Pogba receives four-year ban for doping
- Man United fans in uproar as Old Trafford relocation plans spark outrage
- Liverpool to make one last attempt to bring back Michael Edwards to lead post-Klopp rebuild
- Arsenal shortlist four strikers to replace injury-prone Gabriel Jesus
- Premier League reveal April fixture schedule for TV coverage
- Simone Inzaghi wanted by Liverpool, Man United & Chelsea – but who’s the best fit?