Aston Villa caretaker manager Aaron Danks has dropped John McGinn to the bench for Sunday’s game against Brentford, as per The Athletic.
Villa dismissed Steven Gerrard immediately after the 3-0 defeat at Fulham, which left them on the edge of the relegation zone.
Villa are currently searching for a new manager and are reportedly in talks with Ruben Amorim over the vacant position.
Thomas Tuchel and Mauricio Pochettino have also been linked, but both managers are unwilling to take the job.
Danks is in charge against the Bees and has dropped McGinn, despite being the team’s captain.
Gerrard stripped Tyrone Mings of the captaincy in the summer, handing the Scotland international the armband in a controversial decision.
McGinn started 11 Premier League matches under the ex-Rangers boss but failed to make a huge impact for his side. He is yet to score a goal or contribute an assist in the English top flight.
Many fans were unhappy with the midfielder’s performances, but Gerrard kept faith in the player.
However, with the former Liverpool star no longer at the helm, McGinn has been dropped to the bench by Danks. The caretaker boss has picked Leander Dendoncker to replace him.
Goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez will wear the armband for the game.
- Conor Gallagher determined to stay at Chelsea despite contract stand-off and Tottenham interest
- Eric Dier makes permanent switch to Bayern Munich from Tottenham
- Premier League manager of the month nominees for February revealed
- Paul Pogba receives four-year ban for doping
- Man United fans in uproar as Old Trafford relocation plans spark outrage
- Liverpool to make one last attempt to bring back Michael Edwards to lead post-Klopp rebuild
- Arsenal shortlist four strikers to replace injury-prone Gabriel Jesus
- Premier League reveal April fixture schedule for TV coverage
- Simone Inzaghi wanted by Liverpool, Man United & Chelsea – but who’s the best fit?
- Bowen hat-trick hands West Ham first win of 2024, eases pressure on Moyes