Barcelona had four players on the final 20-man shortlist – Pedri, Gavi, Ansu Fati and Nico Gonzalez. Alejandro Balde was also on the initial list but did not make the final cut.
Italian outlet Tuttosport announced Gavi as the winner in a press conference in Hotel Villa Igiea di Palermo. The publication named him the best player aged under 20.
It is the second prestigious award the combative midfielder has picked up this week after taking the Kopa Trophy at the Ballon d’Or ceremony.
Gavi beat off competition from Eduardo Camavinga, Jude Bellingham and Jamal Musiala to win the award. They were the final four on the list, and the 18-year-old came out on top.
This edition of the Golden Boy Award is the 20th since its inception in 2002. Kylian Mbappe, Wayne Rooney, Messi, Sergio Aguero and Cesc Fabregas are amongst the previous winners.
Gavi got his chance in senior football under Ronald Koeman last season. He has gone from strength to strength under Xavi Hernandez.
He has since made over 60 appearances for the Catalan club and kept established international players such as Franck Kessie and Frenkie De Jong on the bench.
La Roja boss Luis Enrique has also trusted Gavi. He has grown into a regular for the Spain team since making his debut one year ago.
Gavi has 12 appearances for his national team, including some memorable performances in the Nations League.
He has a bright future ahead, and his two prestigious trophies attest to the talent that belies his age.
- Who is Liverpool’s most important player – Van Dijk or Salah?
- Postecoglou confirms huge injury blow for Tottenham ahead of Crystal Palace clash
- FA Cup quarter-final TV picks confirmed, ITV will show headline fixture between Man Utd and Liverpool
- Preview: Man City vs Man United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Crystal Palace shareholder John Textor slams Premier League financial rules
- Conor Gallagher determined to stay at Chelsea despite contract stand-off and Tottenham interest
- Eric Dier makes permanent switch to Bayern Munich from Tottenham
- Premier League manager of the month nominees for February revealed
- Paul Pogba receives four-year ban for doping
- Man United fans in uproar as Old Trafford relocation plans spark outrage