Barcelona midfielder Gavi has taken the coveted Kopa Trophy award at the Ballon d’Or Award ceremony at Theatre du Chatelet, Paris.
The 18-year-old won the trophy ahead of top contenders Eduardo Camavinga, Jude Bellingham and Jamal Musiala.
After picking up his award, the combative midfielder said (via Eurosport): “It’s an honour to receive this prize and to all the people who have been there in the good and bad times. Thanks to all of those who have played a part in helping me to this award.
“I try to give the best of myself at all times. I try to carry myself in the best way.”
Teammate Pedri added: “For me, I’m very proud to see Gavi pick up the prize. I hope we get to keep playing together for many years more as well.”
When the host asked which one of them is Xavi and who is Andres Iniesta, Gavi said: “I’m not too fixated on Xavi and Iniesta. I’m focused on what I can do.”
Pedri won the 2021 Kopa Trophy last year, but a hamstring injury has limited his game time. The Catalan club now has two Kopa Trophy winners within their ranks.
Kylian Mbappe and Matthijs De Ligt won the first two editions of the award.
2022 Kopa Trophy Rankings
- Gavi (Barcelona, Spain)
- Eduardo Camavinga (Real Madrid, France)
- Jamal Musiala (Bayern Munich, Germany)
- Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund, England)
- Nuno Mendes (Paris Saint-Germain, Portugal)
- Ryan Gravenberch (Ajax/Bayern Munich, Netherlands)
- Josko Gvardiol (RB Leipzig, Croatia)
- Bukayo Saka (Arsenal, England)
- Karim Adeyemi (RB Salzburg/Borussia Dortmund, Germany)
- Florian Wirtz (Bayer Leverkusen, Germany)
In more good news for the club, Barcelona Femeni attacker Alexia Putellas won the 2022 Women’s Ballon d’Or for the second year in a row. She is the first women’s player to retain the title.
- Luis de la Fuente appointed Spain head coach following Luis Enrique’s exit
- Carlo Ancelotti hails Brazil as the most complete team at the 2022 FIFA World Cup
- Cody Gakpo sends Manchester United message amid transfer speculation
- Luis Enrique leaves position as head coach of Spain
- Bookings and suspensions: Who is in danger of missing out on the World Cup semi-finals?