The midfielder has been out of the team since picking up a knock in the Blues’ 2-2 draw with Tottenham Hotspur in August.
The 31-year-old was expected to make a full recovery after recently returning to training. However, he aggravated the injury last week and could be out for around three months.
According to The Athletic, Kante is unlikely to recover in time for the upcoming World Cup in Qatar.
This is a huge blow for both for France. With Paul Pogba’s availability for the mega event already doubtful, Didier Deschamps could now be without two key midfielders.
Kante played a crucial role in Les Blues’ victory at the 2018 World Cup, starting all group and knockout matches.
The 31-year-old has also been an important figure for Chelsea since making the move from Leicester City in 2016.
However, injury limited his involvement to only two appearances in the English top flight this season.
The Blues will also be without Reece James for an extended spell after he picked up a knock against AC Milan in the Champions League. The 22-year-old could also miss the 2022 World Cup for England.
Wesley Fofana is another key Chelsea player on the sidelines and is set to be out of action for a lengthy spell.
- Who is Liverpool’s most important player – Van Dijk or Salah?
- Postecoglou confirms huge injury blow for Tottenham ahead of Crystal Palace clash
- FA Cup quarter-final TV picks confirmed, ITV will show headline fixture between Man Utd and Liverpool
- Preview: Man City vs Man United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Crystal Palace shareholder John Textor slams Premier League financial rules
- Conor Gallagher determined to stay at Chelsea despite contract stand-off and Tottenham interest
- Eric Dier makes permanent switch to Bayern Munich from Tottenham
- Premier League manager of the month nominees for February revealed
- Paul Pogba receives four-year ban for doping
- Man United fans in uproar as Old Trafford relocation plans spark outrage