Sporting were reduced to nine men by the hour mark after Ricardo Esagio and Pedro Goncalves were dismissed.
Goals from Matteo Guendouzi and Alexis Sanchez in the first half were enough to see off the Portuguese outfit at Jose Alvalade Stadium.
Marseille lost theit their first two games against Tottenham Hotspur and Eintracht Frankfurt, but have picked up six points from their last two outings.
Manager Igor Tudor said: (h/t RMC Sport): “We have a lot of confidence. Even for this match, as I have already said, we were confident. The team is in a good period and the players are in good shape.
“Yesterday three or four players came to me and told me not to worry, that they would be good today. It was a good feeling before the game.
“Now we have two games left – everything is possible. We will have to continue our momentum. Thinking game after game, how good we can be. What is nice is that we are in this position. I’m proud of it and the players are happy.”
Tudor also showered praise on Amine Harit, who produced an impressive display and set up Sanchez’s strike.
The Moroccan international, on loan from Schalke, has netted up a goal and three assists in four games in the group stage.
“He was incredible today,” Tudor added. “I’m happy for him and for us – he’s a fantastic guy. The game we play is perfect for him – he likes this kind of football.
“He can attack spaces but also play between the lines. He has the ability to combine with the other players – he is a complete player. Today he really made the difference.”
Marseille are now second in Group D with six points, one adrift of Tottenham and level with Sporting.
- Serie A Weekly: Derby d’Italia fails to live up the billing, Milan & Roma return to winning ways
- PSG 1-1 Newcastle: Late Mbappe penalty puts Magpies last-16 hopes in jeopardy
- Tottenham star Rodrigo Bentancur out for two months after latest injury setback
- Everton’s ten-point deduction puts Sean Dyche contract talks on hold
- The worst Premier League starts ever
- Gavi out for the rest of the season
- Celtic & Rangers top list of most expensive Champions League away days
- Jeremie Frimpong: Should Bayern or Man Utd take advantage of his €40m release clause?
- Tottenham join race for Man United target Jean-Clair Todibo
- Referee admitted penalty decision against Wolves was wrong, rages Gary O’Neil after Fulham defeat