AS Roma legend Daniele De Rossi has joined Serie B club SPAL as head coach after Roberto Venturat was sacked.
This is De Rossi’s first time leading a club as head coach. He was part of Roberto Mancini’s coaching staff that helped Italy to the 2020 European Championships.
The 39-year-old is eager to start his career as a head coach after being linked with Bologna, Sampdoria and Salernitana in the past month.
De Rossi retired from professional football in January 2020. He has never hidden his ambitions to be a coach but did not accept previous offers claiming that the time was not right.
The combative midfielder will be on the bench for SPAL’s next game against Cittadella.
SPAL sacked Venturato after the 2-0 defeat at the hands of Frosinone, which left them in 14th place after nine rounds of games.
The Biancazzurri have recorded just two wins this season. The results are disappointing for a club with ambitions of returning to Serie A.
Club boss Joe Tacopina decided to sack Venturato, and the club has been examining profiles they need to restart their campaign. They have landed on De Rossi.
Roberto Stellone was the alternative to the former AS Roma and Boca Juniors midfielder.
However, Tacopina likes De Rossi and tried to bring him to SPAL before, but the move failed to materialise.
The vacancy on the bench made him try again, and he has landed the World Cup winner.
- Bowen hat-trick hands West Ham first win of 2024, eases pressure on Moyes
- Chelsea eye Amorim to replace Pochettino this summer
- Analysis: Liverpool did all they could to win the League Cup – and ultimately triumphed
- Everton ten-point deduction reduced to six
- Jurgen Klopp could win the quadruple this season and still not be Liverpool’s best-ever manager
- Chelsea & Man City target set to join Real Madrid in 2024 or 2025
- Cristiano Ronaldo makes obscene gesture at rival supporters chanting ‘Messi’
- Van Dijk leads Liverpool kids to League Cup glory
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game