Barcelona are targeting a move for Chelsea midfielder N’Golo Kante who will be a free agent next summer, according to SPORT.
The La Liga club have reportedly been in contact with his entourage for several months and are evaluating a possible deal for the France international.
Kante, 31, is in the final months of his contract with Chelsea, and Barcelona could swoop in to sign him for free.
Barcelona’s sporting director Mathieu Alemany has stressed that the free market is crucial for Barcelona after taking advantage of it last summer.
Barcelona signed Andreas Christensen and Franck Kessie for free last summer, and they could return for the same type of business this summer.
They have their eyes on Kante, who could replace Sergio Busquets who will leave the club next June.
They could turn to Kante even though he is more of a box-to-box midfielder but could offer the Catalan club his immense ball-winning ability.
Barcelona are also looking at Kante’s midfield partner Jorginho. The player’s entourage has offered him to Barcelona, and they could take the bait with Busquets’ departure. He is more stylistically similar to Busquets.
Jorginho is in the final year of his contract with Chelsea. There is no renewal on the horizon for him, and he could leave for free next summer.
Youri Tielemans is also set to leave Leicester City on a free transfer, and Barca could move for him. Arsenal had shown interest but decided not to sign a player with his profile.
Ilkay Gundogan and Naby Keita also have expiring contracts, and Barcelona are attentive to the situation.
The club are already in advanced negotiations to take Inigo Martinez by next summer to shore up their defence.
One position the club wants to address is right-back. Barcelona have previously used midfielder Sergi Roberto in that position.
Ronald Araujo and Jules Kounde have played there this season, as the club loaned out Sergino Dest.
Barcelona are looking at Diogo Dalot, who is finally showing his true potential after years of struggling in a Manchester United jersey. The Portuguese full-back is Barcelona’s main target.
The Catalans want to bring Lionel Messi back to beef up the attack, but they know it would be difficult. Paris Saint-Germain will fight to keep hold of the seven-time Ballon d’Or winner.
Barcelona like Marcus Rashford but believe it will be tough to take him from Manchester United.
- Who is Liverpool’s most important player – Van Dijk or Salah?
- Postecoglou confirms huge injury blow for Tottenham ahead of Crystal Palace clash
- FA Cup quarter-final TV picks confirmed, ITV will show headline fixture between Man Utd and Liverpool
- Preview: Man City vs Man United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Crystal Palace shareholder John Textor slams Premier League financial rules
- Conor Gallagher determined to stay at Chelsea despite contract stand-off and Tottenham interest
- Eric Dier makes permanent switch to Bayern Munich from Tottenham
- Premier League manager of the month nominees for February revealed
- Paul Pogba receives four-year ban for doping
- Man United fans in uproar as Old Trafford relocation plans spark outrage