Barcelona are reportedly looking to sign a new defender in the January transfer window to solve their injury crisis.
The Catalan giants have been hit with a plethora of injuries after the international break, with several key players in the treatment room.
Xavi has been left short in defence due to injuries to Jules Kounde, Ronald Araujo and Andreas Christensen.
Barca are exploring the possibility of signing a new central defender in January, and Mundo Deportivo reports that Athletic Bilbao’s Inigo Martinez is a top target.
It was previously reported that the Catalan giants had lined up Martinez as a target for next summer on a free transfer, but they are now looking to snap him up earlier.
The 31-year-old has been a staple in Athletic’s defence over the last few years, winning the Spanish Super Cup for the 2020/21 season and twice reaching the final of Copa del Rey.
He returned from a knee injury a few weeks ago and has since featured in three games in La Liga.
The Lions could be hesitant to sell their key player midway through the season when they are performing at an exceptional level and competing for the top four.
Barca strengthened their squad on all fronts following a productive summer transfer window, but they have now been forced to scour the market again due to injury woes.
Xavi’s men suffered a disappointing defeat against Inter Milan in the Champions League at San Siro in midweek. They welcome the Italian giants next week in a must-win game.
- Crystal Palace shareholder John Textor slams Premier League financial rules
- Conor Gallagher determined to stay at Chelsea despite contract stand-off and Tottenham interest
- Eric Dier makes permanent switch to Bayern Munich from Tottenham
- Premier League manager of the month nominees for February revealed
- Paul Pogba receives four-year ban for doping
- Man United fans in uproar as Old Trafford relocation plans spark outrage
- Liverpool to make one last attempt to bring back Michael Edwards to lead post-Klopp rebuild
- Arsenal shortlist four strikers to replace injury-prone Gabriel Jesus
- Premier League reveal April fixture schedule for TV coverage
- Simone Inzaghi wanted by Liverpool, Man United & Chelsea – but who’s the best fit?