Chelsea midfielder N’Golo Kante has accepted that the club does not want to extend his contract and he is already looking for a new club, according to Foot Mercato.
Kante will have spent seven successful years at the London club when his contract expires next summer, but his future appears to lie elsewhere.
He has won the Premier League, FA Cup, Europa League, Champions League, Super Cup and Club World Cup during his time with Chelsea.
However, he has struggled with injuries over the past few seasons. They have prevented him from being as influential as he can for the Blues.
Former Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel complained about Kante’s fitness issues, and the club have been wary about offering him a new deal.
While Chelsea offered fellow 31-year-old Kalidou Koulibaly a four-year contract, they are unwilling to extend that gesture to the France international due to his physical decline.
Kante is now expecting to leave the club this summer. However, he wants to stay in London. Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur are the only valid options at the moment.
Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus are interested in signing him on a free transfer, but Kante does not want to return to mainland Europe.
Kante recently returned to training following his spell on the sidelines. He could make his third appearance of the season as Chelsea face Wolverhampton Wanderers this weekend.
He has from now until June to show Chelsea that he can still contribute to the team’s success, or they will allow him to walk away for free.
- Argentina 2-0 Mexico: Player ratings as Albicelestes defeat El Tri
- Messi hauls Argentina past Mexico, France book a knockout berth & more
- ‘It was a dream come true’ – Robert Lewandowski in euphoric mood after netting first-ever World Cup goal
- France 2-1 Denmark: Player ratings as Mbappe hits brace
- ‘We’re not dead yet’ – Herve Renard keeps the faith following Poland defeat