Erling Braut Haaland has enjoyed an explosive start to his life at Manchester City, scoring 14 goals in nine games.
The Norwegian superstar is currently leading the Premier League scoring charts (11 goals) and the European Golden Shoe standings.
City had to beat a host of European giants before landing Haaland from Borussia Dortmund in a deal worth £51 million this summer.
Alfie Haaland, the 22-year-old’s father and a former Man City player, has now shed light on how they chose their final destination.
They drew up a short list of clubs and ranked them based on their need for a centre-forward.
Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain were the top three on the list.
The Bavarians had thought of recruiting the Norwegian sensation while having Robert Lewandowski at their disposal.
It was reportedly one of the primary reasons why the Polish striker walked out on the club and signed for Barcelona.
In a documentary named ‘Haaland – The Big Decision’, Haaland snr said (h/t the Times): “On our list, I think City is the best team. “[Bayern] Munich is number two. We have Real Madrid as number three, Paris Saint-Germain as number four.
“We also have some English teams other than City who are quite good – Liverpool and Chelsea. Also, there is Barcelona. They are sort of in the same row.”
Haaland will look to continue his impressive scoring run when the Sky Blues face arch-rivals United in the Manchester derby this weekend.
- Crystal Palace shareholder John Textor slams Premier League financial rules
- Conor Gallagher determined to stay at Chelsea despite contract stand-off and Tottenham interest
- Eric Dier makes permanent switch to Bayern Munich from Tottenham
- Premier League manager of the month nominees for February revealed
- Paul Pogba receives four-year ban for doping
- Man United fans in uproar as Old Trafford relocation plans spark outrage
- Liverpool to make one last attempt to bring back Michael Edwards to lead post-Klopp rebuild
- Arsenal shortlist four strikers to replace injury-prone Gabriel Jesus
- Premier League reveal April fixture schedule for TV coverage
- Simone Inzaghi wanted by Liverpool, Man United & Chelsea – but who’s the best fit?