Blues’ owner Todd Boehly is actively looking for a sporting director and has already failed in the pursuit of RB Salzburg’s Christoph Freund.
The Austrian director had reportedly reached an agreement with the west Londoners, but only for the deal to collapse after Salzburg’s reluctance to sell him.
The Blues have now turned their attention towards Bundesliga outfit Leverkusen, identifying Steidten as the top candidate for the sporting director role.
After spending a few years as the head of scouting, the 43-year-old was promoted to the sporting director position by Leverkusen last summer.
Boehly had the chance to encounter Steidten this summer during the negotiations of Callum Hudson-Odoi’s loan move. The American billionaire was reportedly impressed with the German director.
The primary reason for Boehly’s admiration is Steidten’s data-oriented recruitment strategy, akin to Freund.
Steidten boasts an impressive CV as he has been responsible for Leverkusen unearthing talents such as Florian Wirtz, Jeremie Frimpong, Moussa Diaby and Piero Hincapie.
He also engineered the move for Patrik Schick in 2020, who has grown into one of the best strikers in Europe.
During the recent transfer window, Steidten helped Die Werkself sign highly-rated Czech talent Adam Hlozek.
Chelsea recently relieved head physio Thierry Laurent of his services as Boehly continues to make internal changes.
Graham Potter was appointed as the new manager of the Blues weeks ago following the sacking of Thomas Tuchel.
- Conor Gallagher determined to stay at Chelsea despite contract stand-off and Tottenham interest
- Eric Dier makes permanent switch to Bayern Munich from Tottenham
- Premier League manager of the month nominees for February revealed
- Paul Pogba receives four-year ban for doping
- Man United fans in uproar as Old Trafford relocation plans spark outrage
- Liverpool to make one last attempt to bring back Michael Edwards to lead post-Klopp rebuild
- Arsenal shortlist four strikers to replace injury-prone Gabriel Jesus
- Premier League reveal April fixture schedule for TV coverage
- Simone Inzaghi wanted by Liverpool, Man United & Chelsea – but who’s the best fit?
- Bowen hat-trick hands West Ham first win of 2024, eases pressure on Moyes