Rossoneri are planning to sign a prolific centre-forward in the summer of 2023, with Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Olivier Giroud in the final year of their contracts.
Divock Origi, who was signed on a free transfer from Liverpool this summer, has struggled to make an impact due to injury problems.
Ante Rebic, who can play as a centre-forward, also has a poor injury record and his lack of consistency remains a big issue.
Milan want a new striker to continue their dominance and have identified David as a potential target.
The Canadian prodigy was one of the sought-after players in the summer transfer window, with a host of European giants after him. However, a transfer didn’t materialise and he stayed with Lille.
However, top clubs remain impressed with his form, With David netting four goals and two assists in Ligue 1 this term.
Milan directors Paolo Maldini and Ricky Massara, who have been successful with their transfer business in recent years, are keeping tabs on David, whose contract runs until 2025.
The 22-year-old has netted 20 goals in 30 senior appearances for the Canadian national team and was pivotal in their qualification for the 2022 World Cup which will be played in Qatar later this year.
Milan have previously recruited Rafael Leao from Lille and also tried to sign Renato Sanches and Sven Botman.
Pioli’s men will take on Dinamo Zagreb in a Champions League group stage fixture on Wednesday after drawing with RB Salzburg last week.
- How Brighton could line-up in Athens with Lamptey and Fati injured
- Galatasaray 3-3 Man United: Battle of Istanbul ends in stalemate
- Ten Hag drops Varane again – is a Man United exit imminent?
- Al-Ittihad target former Liverpool director Julian Ward to bolster Salah bid
- Liverpool pair Alisson & Diogo Jota to miss at least five games through injury
- Chelsea to pull Andrey Santos from awful Forest loan – what’s next for the young Brazilian?
- Tottenham to recall exiled star amid injury crisis
- Serie A Weekly: Derby d’Italia fails to live up the billing, Milan & Roma return to winning ways
- PSG 1-1 Newcastle: Late Mbappe penalty puts Magpies last-16 hopes in jeopardy
- Tottenham star Rodrigo Bentancur out for two months after latest injury setback