The Premier League fixture between Aston Villa and Southampton scheduled for this Friday evening will go ahead, according to The Athletic.
Premier League clubs do not know if this weekend’s round of fixtures will be played following the postponement of matchday seven. However, Villa versus Southampton will do.
The Premier League has not confirmed whether the other top-flight games will resume this weekend ahead of the funeral on Monday, September 19.
The government published an official mourning guide last week Friday. It states that there is no obligation to cancel or reschedule events. Football activities look set to continue from Tuesday.
The English Football League says all Championship, League One and League Two games will return as scheduled this week.
Teams will hold a minute of silence before games. The participants will wear black armbands and flags will fly at half-mast. Clubs will play the national anthem in stadiums.
Every game in the United Kingdom was postponed on Friday, Saturday and Sunday to show respect following the death of Queen Elizabeth II.
Games in the Women’s Super League, Women’s Championship and Women’s FA Cup were also called off.
Severe limitations on police resources was cited as part of the reason behind the decision. Even Champions League games were affected.
UEFA announced that they would push Rangers versus Napoli back by a day. Away fans are banned for both legs of the game.
The Europa League fixture between Arsenal and PSV Eindhoven will also be moved.
UEFA urged fans ‘fans not to travel and to respect this extraordinary situation’.
The National Police Chief’s Council (NPCC) announced a national policing operation. They said the UK Police were working to ensure that events are safe and secure so games can be played.
The NPCC said (via Sky Sports), “This is a unique situation, and we are working closely with everyone involved.”
- Pep Guardiola denies City’s reliance on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?