On Thursday evening, Buckingham Palace announced the passing of the Queen. Shortly afterwards, Friday night’s English Football League fixtures were called off. Games in Northern Ireland were also postponed.
Now, the Premier League have announced that they will also postpone the planned fixtures over the weekend as a mark of respect. This includes Monday night’s clash between Leeds United and Nottingham Forest.
In a statement on the league’s official website, Premier League Chief Executive Richard Masters said: “We and our clubs would like to pay tribute to Her Majesty’s long and unwavering service to our country. As our longest-serving monarch, she has been an inspiration and leaves behind an incredible legacy following a life of dedication.
“This is a tremendously sad time for not just the nation, but also for the millions of people around the world who admired her, and we join together with all those in mourning her passing.”
There is a possibility that further fixtures could be affected. With the United Kingdom in a period of mourning, all Premier League matches could be postponed until after the international break.
Tributes to Queen Elizabeth II began last night, during the European matches involving British teams. All three games observed a minute’s silence, while West Ham United fans sang the UK national anthem at the London Stadium.
- Pep Guardiola denies City’s reliance on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?