Bayern Munich and Barcelona are set to face off again in the Champions League, paving the way for another riveting encounter between the two European giants.
Inter Milan and Viktoria Plzen round up Group C, making it one of the most action-packed groups, and it will be thrilling to see which teams make it out. Here is our preview:
Champions League Group C Fixtures
Matchday 1 – September 7
- Inter Milan vs Bayern Munich
- Barcelona vs Viktoria Plzen
Matchday 2 – September 13
- Viktoria Plzen vs Inter Milan
- Bayern Munich vs Barcelona
Matchday 3 – October 4
- Bayern Munich vs Viktoria Plzen
- Inter Milan vs Barcelona
Matchday 4 – October 12
- Barcelona vs Inter Milan
- Viktoria Plzen vs Bayern Munich
Matchday 5 – October 26
- Inter Milan vs Viktoria Plzen
- Barcelona vs Bayern Munich
Matchday 6 – November 1
- Viktoria Plzen vs Barcelona
- Bayern Munich vs Inter Milan
Champions League Group C Preview
Group C, or rather the group of death, promises to be a fascinating watch with the European heavy hitters set to slug it out for a place in the knockout rounds.
The tie between Bayern Munich and Barcelona will be the highlight of the group, as the Blaugranas will be itching to enact revenge on the Germans, and this time they have an ace up their sleeves in Robert Lewandowski.
The Polish marksman was part of the Bayern team that ripped Barca apart in the Champions League last season and the season before.
However, having joined Barca during the summer, he is set for a return to the Allianz Arena. But this time, as the enemy.
Both sides are favourites to progress from the group stage, but Bayern look set to claim the top spot, with Barca coming second.
The Bundesliga giants condemned Barca to the Europa League after home and away wins against the Spanish side last season but were surprisingly knocked out at the Quarter Finals by Villarreal.
They may have lost Lewandowski this summer, but they have not looked like a team that misses their ex-talisman, with Sadio Mane comfortably filling his boots this season.
The Germans have begun their Bundesliga title defence in a rampant form recording three wins and a draw from their four league games. They have also scored 16 goals and conceded just two.
Barca have also started their La Liga campaign in impressive form with two wins and a draw from their opening three league games, scoring eight goals and conceding just one.
However, despite splashing the cash on a massive squad rebuild this summer, they are still a team in transition and could struggle to match the ravaging Bavarians.
Inter Milan may have to settle for a third-place finish, and Plzen may be giants in the Czech first league, but they are no match for their Champions League oppositions and are set to finish fourth.
However, Both teams will want to show they are not there to merely make up the numbers and will relish their chances at securing qualification.
Their bravery may not be enough to usurp Bayern, but they would relish their chances against Barca.
The Champions League has a knack for the impossible, and if Simone Inzaghi’s side can take maximum points from Plzen and avoid losing to Barca, they could join Bayern in the round of 16.
More Champions League Previews
More Champions League Resources
- Simone Inzaghi wanted by Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea – but who’s the best fit?
- Bowen hat-trick hands West Ham first win of 2024, eases pressure on Moyes
- Chelsea eye Amorim to replace Pochettino this summer
- Analysis: Liverpool did all they could to win the League Cup – and ultimately triumphed
- Everton ten-point deduction reduced to six
- Jurgen Klopp could win the quadruple this season and still not be Liverpool’s best-ever manager
- Chelsea & Man City target set to join Real Madrid in 2024 or 2025
- Cristiano Ronaldo makes obscene gesture at rival supporters chanting ‘Messi’
- Van Dijk leads Liverpool kids to League Cup glory
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad