We’re closing in on the beginning of the Champions League campaign, and Group E is certainly one to look out for.
Champions League Group E Fixtures
Matchday 1 – September 6
- Dinamo Zagreb vs Chelsea
- Red Bull Salzburg vs AC Milan
Matchday 2 – September 14
- AC Milan vs Dinamo Zagreb
- Chelsea vs Red Bull Salzburg
Matchday 3 – October 5
- Red Bull Salzburg vs Dinamo Zagreb
- Chelsea vs AC Milan
Matchday 4 – October 11
- Dinamo Zagreb vs Red Bull Salzburg
- AC Milan vs Chelsea
Matchday 5 – October 25
- Red Bull Salzburg vs Chelsea
- Dinamo Zagreb vs AC Milan
Matchday 6 – November 2
- Chelsea vs Dinamo Zagreb
- AC Milan vs Red Bull Salzburg
Champions League Group E Preview & Prediction
With seven European crowns to their name, AC Milan are the second most successful side in the history of this competition, behind only Real Madrid. Off the back of their first league title in a decade, the Rossoneri will be in high spirits as they look to add to their illustrious trophy cabinet. They remain unbeaten so far this season.
In more recent times, Chelsea have enjoyed immense success on the European stage, winning two Champions Leagues and two Europa Leagues in the last 11 seasons. Last year, they reached the quarter-finals, before being knocked out by eventual champions Real Madrid.
It’s been a frantic transfer window at Stamford Bridge, with over £250 million being spent and a few key players departing. The Blues have struggled to capture their best form at the beginning of the new campaign, winning just two of their opening five outings.
RB Salzburg are the dominant force in Austria, winning nine league titles and eight Austrian cups from the previous nine years. They haven’t yet been able to replicate this success on the continental stage, although they achieved their first ever Champions League knockout appearance last season.
Dinamo Zagreb are in a similar boat, lifting 15 of the last 16 Croatian league titles but never reaching the knockout stages of the Champions League. One of their most memorable European nights came two seasons ago, when they completed an incredible comeback to knock Tottenham Hotspur out of the Europa League.
Chelsea are the bookies’ favourite to top the group, but their recent performances have done little to inspire much confidence. They ought to have enough to progress, but they’ll face a tough battle with Milan for first place.
RB Salzburg and Dinamo Zagreb won’t be easy opponents by any means. However, it’s difficult to see them qualifying for the knockouts.
More Champions League Previews
More Champions League Resources
- Arsenal shortlist four strikers to replace injury-prone Gabriel Jesus
- Premier League reveal April fixture schedule for TV coverage
- Simone Inzaghi wanted by Liverpool, Man United & Chelsea – but who’s the best fit?
- Bowen hat-trick hands West Ham first win of 2024, eases pressure on Moyes
- Chelsea eye Amorim to replace Pochettino this summer
- Analysis: Liverpool did all they could to win the League Cup – and ultimately triumphed
- Everton ten-point deduction reduced to six
- Jurgen Klopp could win the quadruple this season and still not be Liverpool’s best-ever manager
- Chelsea & Man City target set to join Real Madrid in 2024 or 2025
- Cristiano Ronaldo makes obscene gesture at rival supporters chanting ‘Messi’