Jurgen Klopp has finally admitted that Liverpool need to sign a new midfielder and they will make a move before the transfer window closes if the right player is available.
The German boss had been adamant that the Reds do not require new additions this summer following the arrivals of Darwin Nunez, Fabio Carvalho and Calvin Ramsay.
But the 55-year-old has now reassessed his position and conceded that they need to bring in a new midfielder.
The 2020 Premier League champions are currently dealing with several injuries in midfield, with Thiago Alcantara, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Naby Keita and Curtis Jones all sidelined.
Liverpool have made a poor start to the 2022-23 season, suffering draws against Fulham and Crystal Palace before losing Monday’s derby against Manchester United.
Klopp admitted his squad is short in midfield but insisted that only the availability of the right player would prompt the Merseyside club to make a move.
“We have had this discussion since it all started and I am the one who said: ‘We don’t need a midfielder,’ and you were all right and I was wrong,” he said (as per The Guardian). “But the specific point doesn’t change – we will do something but it has to be the right one.”
If recent rumours are to be believed, Liverpool could make a shock move for Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong.
The Reds are said to be willing to spend £53 million plus £7m in add-ons to sign the Netherlands international.
The 25-year-old has been heavily linked with an exit from the Catalans this summer, with Manchester United and Chelsea keen to secure his services.
De Jong reportedly prefers to stay at Camp Nou but the Blaugrana are trying to move him on due to their difficult financial situation.
The former Ajax star is a world-class footballer who would improve any team in the world.
However, it is uncertain whether the Merseyside club can get a deal over the line for him with just days remaining in the transfer window.
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?