The reports add that David Moyes’ men would prefer a loan deal for Cornet, who has a £17.5 million release clause in his current contract at Turf Moor.
Off the back of a fine individual campaign last time out, where he netted nine times in the Premier League, Cornet has also been linked with a move to Everton but it remains to be seen how firm an interest the Merseyside club still holds in him following their recent acquisition of Dwight McNeil.
As confirmed by the Clarets’ manager Vincent Kompany, Cornet could become the latest big-name departure from Burnley after the club suffered relegation into the Championship, following in the footsteps of James Tarkowski, Nick Pope, Wout Weghorst and the aforementioned McNeil.
“It is no secret there is a couple of clubs in for him, and a couple of clubs have made good offers,” Kompany told the Burnley Express.
“We have to prepare probably for a period after him, and that is what we are doing. I am not saying Maxwel has gone – he has offers.”
Capable of playing as a left-sided winger and as a wing-back, Cornet would add much-needed depth to West Ham’s ranks as they bid to follow up their Europa League semi-final run last time out with another impressive showing in Europe, albeit in the Europa Conference League.
Having already spent a whopping £76m this summer on acquiring the services of Gianluca Scamacca, Alphonse Areola, Nayef Aguerd and Flynn Downes, the east Londoners are keen on bolstering their squad even further with a swoop for Eintracht Frankfurt’s Filip Kostic still also thought to be on the cards.
- Paris Saint-Germain vs Montpellier Preview – Prediction, how to watch & line-ups
- Brentford vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, how to watch & line-ups
- Manchester City vs Bournemouth Preview – Prediction, how to watch & line-ups
- Frenkie de Jong determined to stay at Barcelona despite threats and Premier League interest
- Barcelona ready to sell Sergino Dest amid Man Utd & Chelsea interest