The reports add that David Moyes’ men would prefer a loan deal for Cornet, who has a £17.5 million release clause in his current contract at Turf Moor.
Off the back of a fine individual campaign last time out, where he netted nine times in the Premier League, Cornet has also been linked with a move to Everton but it remains to be seen how firm an interest the Merseyside club still holds in him following their recent acquisition of Dwight McNeil.
As confirmed by the Clarets’ manager Vincent Kompany, Cornet could become the latest big-name departure from Burnley after the club suffered relegation into the Championship, following in the footsteps of James Tarkowski, Nick Pope, Wout Weghorst and the aforementioned McNeil.
“It is no secret there is a couple of clubs in for him, and a couple of clubs have made good offers,” Kompany told the Burnley Express.
“We have to prepare probably for a period after him, and that is what we are doing. I am not saying Maxwel has gone – he has offers.”
Capable of playing as a left-sided winger and as a wing-back, Cornet would add much-needed depth to West Ham’s ranks as they bid to follow up their Europa League semi-final run last time out with another impressive showing in Europe, albeit in the Europa Conference League.
Having already spent a whopping £76m this summer on acquiring the services of Gianluca Scamacca, Alphonse Areola, Nayef Aguerd and Flynn Downes, the east Londoners are keen on bolstering their squad even further with a swoop for Eintracht Frankfurt’s Filip Kostic still also thought to be on the cards.
- Bundesliga Weekly: Dortmund & Leverkusen share the spoils, Leipzig re-enter the title race
- Man United to ratify Sir Jim Ratcliffe stake purchase next week
- Newcastle’s top four hopes take huge hit with Nick Pope out for five months
- Stats prove Man City’s Rodri has been far better than Arsenal’s Declan Rice this season
- Manchester City’s title defence gets tougher as Arsenal and Liverpool soar
- Euro 2024 Power Rankings – Who are the early favourites in Germany?
- FA Cup third round draw: Arsenal face Liverpool, Tottenham host Burnley
- European Championship 2024 draw: England, Scotland, France & Germany discover group stage opponents
- Can Salah close the gap on Haaland in the Premier League Golden Boot race?
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager