It seemed like yesterday when Vinicius Junior inspired Real Madrid to their 14th Champions League title at the expense of Liverpool.
UEFA has released the fixture schedule for the 2022/23 Champions League season, including the opening qualifying round and grand final dates.
Let’s take a look at all key dates for the upcoming season of Europe’s most prestigious club competition and how to watch the matches.
How to watch the 2022/23 Champions League season?
All Champions League fixtures in the 2022/23 season will be available to watch online via Champions League live streams.
When do Champions League qualifying fixtures start?
The 2022/23 Champions League qualifiers commence on June 21 with the preliminary round semi-finals.
Everything wraps up on August 24, when six teams will join the 26 sides that have already qualified for the 2022/23 group stages.
Twenty-four clubs will start the second qualifying round, including 20 coming through the Champions path and another four challenging through the League path.
Those 20 sides featuring in the Champions path will determine the four group stage participants, with the League path designed to provide the final two.
When is the Champions League group stage draw?
The 2022/23 UEFA Champions League group stage draw takes place on 25 August.
When does the Champions League group stage start?
The 2022/23 Champions League group stage gets underway in the first week of September, with the opening group fixtures scheduled to kick off on September 6.
Pot 1 contains the reigning Champions League and Europa League holders, and the champions of the top six associations based on their 2021 UEFA country coefficients.
The remaining three pots will be arranged once the qualifying is done.
When does the knockout stage of the Champions League start?
The 2022/23 Champions League round of 16 begins on February 14 and runs until February 22, with the return fixtures scheduled between March 7 and 15.
The competition’s quarter-final first legs will take place on April 11 and 12, while the second legs fall on April 18 and 19.
May 9 and 10 are booked for the semi-finals’ first legs, with the return games scheduled for May 16 and 17.
When and where is the Champions League final in 2023?
The 2022/23 Champions League showpiece, scheduled to take place at the Ataturk Olympic Stadium in Istanbul on June 10, will be the second final held at the home of the Turkish national team.
The same venue played host to the iconic 2005 decider between Liverpool and AC Milan when the Reds came from a 3-0 half-time deficit to lift the title after a penalty shoot-out.
UEFA’s decision to hand the Ataturk Olympic Stadium the privilege to host the famous event comes as a settlement for the 2020 Covid-related incident.
Despite being initially selected to host the 2020 decider, Istanbul had to hand over hosting rights to Lisbon due to the coronavirus pandemic.
A year later, they surrendered rights to stage the grand final to Porto as part of UEFA’s bid to allow fans of the finalists to attend the most significant fixture in a European club season.
2022/23 Champions League Schedule – In Summary
Champions League Qualifying Fixtures:
- Preliminary round semi-finals: 21 June 2022
- Preliminary round final: 24 June 2022
- First qualifying round: 5/6 & 12/13 July 2022
- Second qualifying round: 19/20 & 26/27 July 2022
- Third qualifying round: 2/3 & 9 August 2022
- Play-offs: 16/17 & 23/24 August 2022
Champions League Group Stage:
- Matchday 1: 6/7 September 2022
- Matchday 2: 13/14 September 2022
- Matchday 3: 4/5 October 2022
- Matchday 4: 11/12 October 2022
- Matchday 5: 25/26 October 2022
- Matchday 6: 1/2 November 2022
- Round of 16: 14/15/21/22 February & 7/8/14/15 March 2023
- Quarter-finals: 11/12 & 18/19 April 2023
- Semi-finals: 9/10 & 16/17 May 2023
- Final: 10 June 2023
Champions League Draws:
- Playoffs: 02 August 2022
- Group Stage: 25 August 2022
- Round of 16: 07 November 2022
- Quarter-finals, Semi-finals & Final: 17 March 2023
Champions League Final Venue: Atatürk Olympic Stadium in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Mbappe and Casemiro among best performers – World Cup Team of Matchday 2
- Brazil and Portugal progress to the knockout stage, two thrilling goal-fests & more
- Portugal 2-0 Uruguay: Match ratings as Europeans seal qualification to knockout stage
- Manchester City set to face Chelsea – FA Cup 2022/23 third round draw
- Manchester United’s Casemiro shines in Brazil’s World Cup victory over Switzerland