The Citizens want to bring a replacement for Oleksandr Zinchenko, who is set to join Arsenal in a deal worth around £30 million.
City can use Joao Cancelo as a left-back as he played in that position during the 2021-22 season. Nathan Ake is also capable of fulfilling that role.
However, none of them are natural left-backs and so the Spanish boss is keen to bring Cucurella to the Etihad. Stadium.
City recently made a £30m bid for the 24-year-old but Brighton rejected their offer, with the Seagulls wanting £50m to let him leave.
The former Getafe player, who is keen on a move to the Manchester outfit, is said to be disappointed with his current employers for setting such a high valuation.
He had reportedly made it clear that he wants to leave the Amex Stadium if the Citizens made a good offer.
City unlikely to pay £50m
Cucurella is a modern full-back who is known for his tackling and defensive contribution.
He made 35 appearances in the Premier League last season, averaging an impressive 2.7 tackles and 1.9 clearance per game in the top-flight (as per WhoScored).
He has made a huge impact at the Amex since he joined the club from Getafe in a £15.4m deal.
However, City are unlikely to fork out £50m to secure his services.
Brighton are not interested in selling Cucurella, and setting such a big valuation is probably their way of saying he is not for sale.
- Almeria vs Real Madrid Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- This Week In Football: Real Madrid lift the Super Cup, Rangers’ Champions League hopes live on, Palmeiras progress in the Libertadores & more
- Juventus set to loan out Luca Pellegrini to Eintracht Frankfurt
- Everton confident of signing Strasbourg’s Ludovic Ajorque after initial talks
- Paris Saint-Germain targeting Manchester United striker Marcus Rashford