Reliable Italian journalist Fabrizio Romano reports that the Gunners have agreed to a five-year deal worth €35 million plus add-ons for the talented attacking midfielder.
The 22-year-old had a release clause of €50m, but the Gunners managed to negotiate the transfer fee with the Portuguese giants.
A youth product of Porto, Vieira enjoyed a productive 2021/22 campaign, netting six goals and four assists in the Portuguese top flight.
There was also competition from the European heavyweights, but the north Londoners managed to strike a deal for the Portuguese U21 star, whose dream has always been to play in the Premier League.
Vieira, who will have his medicals on Friday, will be the Gunners’ second signing of the summer window following talented Brazilian forward Marquinhos’ move from Sao Paulo.
Midfield reinforcements have been a priority for Mikel Arteta ahead of next season, and the Gunners have been linked with the likes of Ruben Neves and Marcel Sabitzer.
Vieira’s signing is unexpected as there has been hardly any build up to it, and his addition will strengthen the options in the middle of the park.
Having the ability to play as a No 8 as well as in the hole, Arteta will be delighted with the Portuguese youngster’s versatility.
Vieira’s creative skills and attacking instincts are the most impressive, as highlighted by his average of 1.3 key passes and 1.4 shots.
- New boss, new rules – Erik ten Hag ringing massive pre-season changes
- One free agent each Premier League ‘Big Six’ club should sign
- Liverpool considering Mohamed Salah sale amid Real Madrid interest
- Nottingham Forest confirm Taiwo Awoniyi signing – Dean Henderson announcement imminent
- AC Milan in talks to sign wantaway Chelsea star Hakim Ziyech