The Catalan giants have been in talks with the Spanish left-back over the past few weeks regarding a summer move, with Romano now adding that personal terms are close to being reached.
With his contract at Stamford Bridge expiring in the summer of 2023, Barca are optimistic about signing him for a cheaper fee.
Barca have been linked with a host of left-backs like Alex Grimaldo, Jose Gaya and Javi Galan to provide cover for Jordi Alba, but it looks Alonso will be the one coming to Camp Nou.
For the 31-year-old, his priority has always been returning to his homeland, with Xavi also keen on a reunion with his compatriot.
Alonso will mark Barca’s second signing from the Blues, having already reached an agreement over the free transfer of Andreas Christensen. In addition, Cesar Azpilicueta is also on the wishlist of the Catalans.
Meanwhile, the Blues are expected to rely on Emerson Palmieri, who will return from loan at Lyon, in the event of Alonso’s departure.
The Italian defender is likely to be handed more responsibility as Ben Chilwell has just returned from a long-term ACL injury.
Elsewhere, Barca are looking to benefit from the experience of Alonso, who has also revived his career under Thomas Tuchel.
The Blaugrana’s priority turns out to be Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski, who is keen on sealing a transfer to Camp Nou this summer.
- New boss, new rules – Erik ten Hag ringing massive pre-season changes
- One free agent each Premier League ‘Big Six’ club should sign
- Liverpool considering Mohamed Salah sale amid Real Madrid interest
- Nottingham Forest confirm Taiwo Awoniyi signing – Dean Henderson announcement imminent
- AC Milan in talks to sign wantaway Chelsea star Hakim Ziyech