Romero, who claims the possibility of the deal is 95%, also adds that the transfer operation would cost the Red Devils between €70m and €80m.
The Dutch midfielder’s exit rumours have been doing rounds since his former coach Erik ten Hag was confirmed as the new manager of Man Utd.
Ten Hag would be devoid of depth in the midfield – with the possible departures of Paul Pogba and Nemanja Matic – and he has identified De Jong as an ideal target to shore up the options.
Elsewhere, Barca believe it is the right time to cash in on their prized asset, not only to boost their finances, but they also fear that the former Ajax star’s value could slump should his inconsistency continue.
The 25-year-old moved to Camp Nou in 2019 in a much-anticipated transfer, but it is difficult to argue that he has lived up to the expectations.
While he has shown his class on many occasions, they are only a few and far between, and the lack of consistency turns out to be a huge concern for Barca.
Moreover, the prospective arrival of Franck Kessie from AC Milan and the imminent renewal of Pedri have cast doubt on De Jong’s future that he could lose his prominence next season.
Nonetheless, the former Ajax star has previously insisted that he wants to continue at Camp Nou for the foreseeable future.
Blaugrana manager Xavi has repeated time and again that De Jong is an important player for the club’s future.
- Grading Chelsea: How did the players, manager, transfers & results stack up?
- Christian Eriksen reveals his desire to play in the Champions League once again
- Barcelona ahead of Manchester United and Arsenal in Ruben Neves race
- Grading Juventus: How did the players, manager, transfers & results stack up?
- Kylian Mbappe to announce decision on PSG future very soon