The Catalan giants have had a tremendous turnaround during the back end of the season following a mid-season spending spree to bolster their attacking department.
Ferran Torres, Adama Traore and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang were added to the forward ranks, and the latter has had a big impact with 10 goals from just 14 appearances.
Aubameyang’s release from Arsenal was somewhat of a surprise, and it now appears Barcelona are planning to recruit another player from the north London club.
With Samuel Umtiti and Clement Lenglet likely to be shown the exit door, Xavi has urged the Blaugrana to negotiate a suitable summer transfer for Gabriel.
The 24-year-old has been ever-present in central defence for the Gunners since September. The Brazilian has kept 13 clean sheets in the Premier League this season.
His performances have caught the eye of Xavi. It is reported that Memphis Depay, Neto or Riqui Puig could be offered as part of a potential deal to sign him.
Despite being a key player for the Gunners, it is said that the London club could be willing to do business for the right price. They would prefer Depay as part of the move.
The centre-back has been pivotal to the Gunners’ top-four push this term alongside Ben White, but the club could fall short amid the injury crisis at the moment.
Ahead of the summer, the club’s main emphasis could be on strengthening the frontline with Alexandre Lacazette having barely scored over the course of the season.
Both Lacazette and Eddie Nketiah could leave at the expiry of their contracts, leaving the Gunners without a senior striker in their ranks for the forthcoming campaign.
Depay, who has played as a regular striker in recent years, could be a suitable solution. It has been reported that the Dutchman wants a second chance in the Premier League.
Hence, a deal involving Gabriel and Depay could be on the cards. This could mean that the Gunners are planning to integrate William Saliba into their first-team plans.
The Frenchman has made immense progress on loan at Marseille, and recently made his international debut. He could come in to partner White at the heart of the defence.
Xavi appears to be eyeing multiple defenders with Premier League experience this summer. A pre-contract deal has already been struck with Chelsea’s Andreas Christensen.
Gabriel has now emerged as a prime target for the Spanish tactician. The Blaugrana have also been heavily linked with the services of Blues captain Cesar Azpilicueta.
- Pep Guardiola denies City’s reliance on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?