The Brazilian defender returned to Camp Nou on a free transfer in November after agreeing to a contract until the end of this season, which contained an option for an additional year.
Barca have decided to exercise that option as they are happy with Alves’ impact on and off the pitch.
The 38-year-old has aged like a fine wine after enjoying a great start to his second stint, netting a goal and two assists in three games.
His best performance came in the 4-2 win against Atletico Madrid, where he scored a goal and provided an assist before seeing a red card.
Although the former Sao Paulo star was excluded from the Europa League squad, he has been instrumental in helping Barca return to the top four of the La Liga table.
Besides his age-defying performances, Alves is a strong character which Xavi believes benefits the development of Barca’s youngsters.
Xavi made a great decision to leave Alves out of Europa League so the Brazilian can be in the best shape in La Liga.
With Sergino Dest chipping in with impressive displays in recent weeks, Alves has less pressure on his shoulders.
The veteran defender, who won the Olympic Gold medal with Brazil last year, has set his sights on the FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
- Kylian Mbappe – Real Madrid or PSG?
- Manchester United plotting summer move for Raphinha
- Paris Saint-Germain confirm Angel Di Maria exit amid Juventus links
- Carlo Ancelotti confirms Isco will leave Real Madrid in the summer
- Crystal Palace vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups