The 30-year-old has scored only three times in 17 Premier League appearances for the Clarets this season.
However, he has achieved double figures in his previous four league seasons at Turf Moor.
The Magpies have already signed Kieran Trippier from Atletico Madrid in a deal worth around £12 million.
Eddie Howe also wants to bring in a new striker, with Callum Wilson’s injury expected to keep him sidelined for some time.
And as per The Telegraph, Newcastle have made an approach for Wood.
It has been reported that he is interested in moving to St James’ Park.
Burnley could be unwilling to sell the player, especially to a club also battling relegation.
Wood first joined Burnley in 2017 in a deal worth around £15 million (as per BBC).
Since he arrived at Turf Moor, he has made 165 appearances across all competitions, scoring 53 goals and creating nine assists (stats from Transfermarkt).
Wood is a highly talented player who boasts plenty of experience playing at the top level.
Newcastle should do everything in their power to secure the forward’s signature.
- What to watch during the winter break
- Thomas Muller linked with unlikely move to Premier League
- Erling Haaland WILL leave Borussia Dortmund this summer – Where will he go?
- Barcelona reach an agreement with AC Milan midfielder Franck Kessie for a summer move
- The best defensive midfield transfer targets for Man Utd