Newcastle United have reportedly joined Arsenal in the race to sign Bruno Guimaraes from Lyon.
The 24-year-old has earned rave reviews this season, bagging three assists in 17 Ligue 1 appearances.
His performances have caught the attention of several top European clubs.
The Gunners monitored the Brazilian footballer when he played for Athletico Paranaense.
However, Lyon are reportedly unwilling to let one of their star players leave in the middle of the season.
Any interested club would have to pay around £40 million to secure a deal.
The Magpies are desperate to bring in reinforcements in the January transfer window to boost their hopes of staying in the Premier League.
They are currently 19th in the Premier League standings, having secured only a single victory.
Newcastle can afford to sign some of the best players in Europe following the £300 million takeover by a Saudi-led consortium.
Guimaraes is a highly talented midfielder who could shine at St James’ Park.
However, £40m is still a considerable transfer fee for the Brazilian footballer.
- Arsenal agree deal to sign United States international
- The best managerial candidate for Everton – Pereira or Rooney?
- Inter Milan eye summer swoop for Sassuolo striker Gianluca Scamacca
- Chelsea looking to build defence around Matthijs de Ligt
- AFCON 2021 round of 16 update: Salah penalty defeats Ivory Coast, Jesus Owono stars for Equatorial Guinea, Egypt to face Morocco in last eight