Newcastle United have identified Lille’s Sven Botman as their top centre-back target for January.
The Magpies are likely to spend big next month after their takeover from a Saudi-led consortium.
The defence could be the prime focus for the owners, with the club having conceded a staggering 41 goals thus far.
Botman is reportedly the top target for the Magpies, and they are currently waiting to learn the price tag from Lille.
The club could pursue two central defenders next month while they are also looking for a new right-back.
Football Today verdict:
The Magpies are currently in a precarious position in the Premier League. They are only three points adrift of safety, but 17th-placed Watford have played two games less.
It has come to a situation where they desperately need reinforcements. Botman would be a quality addition to their ranks. He is only 21 and could be part of their long-term success.
The Dutchman has a towering presence with his height and would be ideally suited for the English game. He has won two aerial duels and four clearances per appearance this season.
The big question mark lies whether he would be tempted to join and help the Magpies in their relegation tussle. Botman may also need some games to adapt to the league’s intensity.
While the club could sign Botman, they may need to recruit another experienced Premier League central defender that can deliver top-notch performances from the off.
James Tarkowski could be a genuine option. He will enter the final six months of his Burnley contract in January.
- How Brighton could line-up in Athens with Lamptey and Fati injured
- Galatasaray 3-3 Man United: Battle of Istanbul ends in stalemate
- Ten Hag drops Varane again – is a Man United exit imminent?
- Al-Ittihad target former Liverpool director Julian Ward to bolster Salah bid
- Liverpool pair Alisson & Diogo Jota to miss at least five games through injury
- Chelsea to pull Andrey Santos from awful Forest loan – what’s next for the young Brazilian?
- Tottenham to recall exiled star amid injury crisis
- Serie A Weekly: Derby d’Italia fails to live up the billing, Milan & Roma return to winning ways
- PSG 1-1 Newcastle: Late Mbappe penalty puts Magpies last-16 hopes in jeopardy
- Tottenham star Rodrigo Bentancur out for two months after latest injury setback