The Blaugrana are likely to spend on a new marksman next month after the setback for Sergio Aguero.
Aguero has been sidelined with a heart concern, and there are claims that he could announce his retirement.
Amidst this, the club are actively searching for another centre-forward. Cavani has been earmarked as the top target.
The club have been long linked with his services, and they are currently assessing his fitness after a tendon problem.
He has recently returned to full training, and will be monitored ahead of a potential winter approach to sign him.
Football Today verdict:
Cavani has struggled with injuries over the past couple of seasons, but he remains a potent goalscorer when fit.
The Uruguayan missed several games during his debut United campaign last term, but still netted 17 goals.
He was fancied to continue the good form, but the surprise return of Cristiano Ronaldo has hampered his game time.
The 34-year-old has hardly played from the starting line-up this season and could head for the exit door next month.
With his contract expiring next summer, he could be available for a nominal fee which would suit the Blaugrana.
The Catalan giants are facing financial concerns at the moment. Cavani may need to take a pay cut to join them.
Despite their lowly position in La Liga (eighth), the Blaugrana are still highly regarded around the world.
Signing Cavani appears a no-brainer for them as he would guarantee goals if offered a consistent run of games.
- The best managerial candidate for Everton – Pereira or Rooney?
- Inter Milan eye summer swoop for Sassuolo striker Gianluca Scamacca
- Chelsea looking to build defence around Matthijs de Ligt
- AFCON 2021 round of 16 update: Salah penalty defeats Ivory Coast, Jesus Owono stars for Equatorial Guinea, Egypt to face Morocco in last eight
- What to watch during the winter break