Thursday was a good day for two of the Premier League’s underperformers, with Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur recording victories.
United’s 3-2 victory over Arsenal marked the end of Michael Carrick’s 15-year association with the club. We’ll start the latest Football Today column there.
Carrick leaves with his head held high
Carrick’s confirmation that he was leaving Old Trafford came as no real surprise given that incoming manager Ralf Rangnick is likely to want his own staff.
The 40-year-old has done a good job steadying the ship at Old Trafford, overseeing two wins and a draw since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was sacked.
However, he will best be remembered at United for his time as a player, having won five Premier League titles and the Champions League with the club.
While Carrick leaves with his head held high, his comments about loyalty to Solskajer suggest he thinks the players let the Norwegian down in recent weeks.
Skipp shows Alli how it’s done
Tottenham manager Antonio Conte praised Oliver Skipp after he produced a dominant midfield display in the 2-0 win over Brentford last night.
Skipp has forced his way into Spurs’ first team this season after impressing on loan with Norwich City in the Championship last term.
The 21-year-old showed plenty of drive in the middle of the park and is the type of player Conte loves to work with.
His performance highlighted what Dele Alli needs to do if he fancies being a professional footballer again.
Friday football on TV
- Union Berlin vs RB Leipzig – Bundesliga – Sky Sports
- Fulham vs Bournemouth – Championship – Sky Sports
- Gateshead vs Charlton Athletic – FA Cup – ITV
- Inverness Caledonian Thistle vs Kilmarnock – Scottish Championship – BBC
- Granada vs Alaves – La Liga – La Liga TV
- Benfica vs Sporting Lisbon – Primeira Liga – BT Sport
One to watch
Promotion-chasing Fulham and Bournemouth meet in the Championship this evening. This one could be a tasty encounter.
Good bets are thin on the ground today. Keep your powder dry for the weekend.
- Arsenal agree deal to sign United States international
- The best managerial candidate for Everton – Pereira or Rooney?
- Inter Milan eye summer swoop for Sassuolo striker Gianluca Scamacca
- Chelsea looking to build defence around Matthijs de Ligt
- AFCON 2021 round of 16 update: Salah penalty defeats Ivory Coast, Jesus Owono stars for Equatorial Guinea, Egypt to face Morocco in last eight