Matchday 14 in the Premier League gets underway this evening, with two crucial games involving teams at the bottom of the table.
Newcastle United will never have a better chance of recording their first victory of the season as they face Norwich City at St James’ Park.
Leeds United are also in action as they take on Crystal Palace and the Yorkshire outfit are where we will start the latest Football Today column.
It’s time for Bielsa to work his magic
Marcelo Bielsa has previously never spent more than two seasons at a club, so there are concerns that his impact is wearing off now he is in his fourth year at Leeds.
The Whites head into this evening’s game against Palace 17th in the table and with just two wins under their belt this term.
Injuries and illness have not helped their cause, but a relegation battle is not what Leeds fans had in mind when the season started.
Bielsa generally remains faithful to his approach to games – he desperately needs things to start clicking quickly.
Lewandowski ‘cheated’ out of Ballon d’Or
The German media are not happy campers today, with some outlets claiming that Robert Lewandowski has been ‘cheated’ out of the Ballon d’Or award.
The Polish international scored 48 goals in the 2020/21 Bundesliga season, helping Bayern Munich to their ninth straight title and breaking Gerd Muller’s record of 41.
Messi was once again Barcelona’s standout performer despite the club’s struggles and also played a massive role in Argentina’s Copa America success.
Given that the voting for the Ballon d’Or bears some similarities to the Eurovision Song Contest, no one should be surprised at the outcome.
Tuesday football on TV
- Atalanta vs Venezia – Serie A – BT Sport
- Fiorentina vs Sampdoria – Serie – BT Sport 2
- Newcastle United vs Norwich City – Premier League – Amazon Prime Video
- Motherwell vs Dundee United – Scottish Premiership – Sky Sports
- Salernitana vs Juventus – Serie A – BT Sport
- Verona vs Cagliari Serie A – BT Sport
- Leeds United vs Crystal Palace – Premier League – Amazon Prime Video
One to watch
Newcastle could be seven points adrift of safety if results go against them this evening. On that basis, odds of 8/11 to be relegated is a licence to print money, isn’t it?
Atalanta and Exeter City look good bets to win this evening. The double pays 7/4.
- Manchester City captain Ilkay Gundogan undecided about his future
- ‘I am very sorry to him’ – Son Heung-min reacts to Antonio Conte sacking
- Juventus open to renegotiating Denis Zakaria loan deal with Chelsea
- Atletico Madrid set to battle out for Moroccan midfielder Sofyan Amrabat
- Tottenham rejected by Niko Kovac amid search for Conte’s successor