Barcelona’s hierarchy have identified Manchester United forward Anthony Martial as a potential alternative to Ferran Torres ahead of the winter transfer window.
The Blaugrana are keen on bolstering the attack with a versatile player in January, and it has been widely claimed that they have agreed personal terms with Torres.
However, Manchester City have no plans of parting ways with the Spaniard at the turn of the year, and the Blaugrana may have to wait until the end of the season.
Amidst this, Mundo Deportivo claims that Martial is the alternative target for the Catalan giants this winter.
United CEO Ferran Reverter was in Manchester earlier this week to enquire about Torres. In the process, he was able to get information over Martial’s current situation.
Martial has been limited to just 200 minutes of Premier League football, and he is reportedly assessing his options.
Ralf Rangnick will take charge as the interim manager in the coming days, and Martial will be hoping to become a key player under the German tactician.
The 63-year-old will involve gegenpressing at United, and Martial may not be a suitable starting candidate, having previously been criticised for his languid style of play.
He is not the best at pressing opponents and tends to prefer to play on the counter-attack. Irrespective of this, he will be aiming to make an impact.
With Barcelona’s tight financial situation, a loan deal appears the only choice to sign the 25-year-old. They are most likely to propose an option to buy next summer.
- Championship 2021/22 Promotion Race – Who will reach the Premier League?
- Premier League Predictions 19/01/22: Manchester United and Tottenham to win
- Liverpool to recall Rhys Williams from Swansea loan
- AFCON 2021 round-up: Senegal qualify after penalty scare, brilliant Hakimi hands Morocco top spot, Ghana knocked out
- Sevilla defender Diego Carlos agrees personal terms with Newcastle United