Thursday’s World Cup qualifiers pretty much went to plan, with Russia, Germany and Croatia comfortably delivering our short-priced treble tip.
It’s probably best to gloss over the role Sweden and Portugal played in messing up our other prediction and focus on matters elsewhere.
You won’t get rich by backing England against Albania this evening, although they should come out on top to secure their place at the 2022 World Cup.
Before we assess how Harry Kane’s antics might impact the Three Lions, we look at why Norwich City would be well-advised to drop their interest in an ex-England star.
Smith ideal for Norwich
Dean Smith and Frank Lampard are in the running to be the new Norwich manager, and it really should be a one-horse race.
Quite why Lampard is being considered is baffling. He failed at Derby County and Chelsea and can’t organise a team defensively.
By contrast, Smith did a solid job at Aston Villa, guiding them to promotion from the Championship and keeping them in the top flight the following season.
He was dismissed by Villa after five straight defeats this season, but injuries did not help his cause. His overall CV makes him ideal for Norwich.
Kane should be focused on England
Harry Kane’s decision to discuss his failed move to Manchester City this summer ahead of the Albania game was extremely ill-advised.
The Tottenham Hotspur striker spoke at length about the matter when he should have been focusing fully on the job at hand.
Kane discussed the impact the issue had on him and his family but conveniently overlooked that the situation was entirely of his own making.
The England captain should be concentrating on the Albania game and nothing else.
Friday football on TV
- Moldova vs Scotland – World Cup Qualifier – Sky Sports
- Andorra vs Poland – World Cup Qualifier – Sky Sports
- Austria vs Israel – World Cup Qualifier – Sky Sports
- Denmark vs Faroe Islands – World Cup Qualifier – Sky Sports
- England vs Albania – World Cup Qualifier – ITV
- Hungary vs San Marino – World Cup Qualifier – Sky Sports
- Italy vs Switzerland – World Cup Qualifier – Sky Sports
- Northern Ireland vs Lithuania – World Cup Qualifier – Sky Sports
- Uruguay vs Argentina – World Cup Qualifier – Premier Sports
One to watch
Albania at home is the ideal chance to pick Jude Bellingham in midfield with Declan Rice ruled out. It’ll be Jordan Henderson though, won’t it?
Backing over 2.5 goals in the England match and Bolton Wanderers to beat Crewe Alexandra pays odds of around 13/8.
- Football Today: Carrick leaves with his head held high, Skipp shows Alli how it’s done
- Manchester United confirm Michael Carrick has left the club with immediate effect
- 10 players out of contract in the summer who Premier League clubs should target
- Football Today: Everton board to blame for slump, Kane must repay Conte’s faith
- Rafael Benitez could be sacked by Everton after Merseyside derby defeat